Thursday, June 9, 2011

In memory of a great man





Gary Lee Johnson. September 20, 1939- June 10, 2008


Today marks the four year anniversary of my father's death. Watching the strongest man I that I will ever know weaken due to cancer, was heartbreaking. The conversations, memories and hugs shared with him will never be replaced, nor will the life lessons that he taught me.

The most difficult part of losing my dad so early in my life, is the fact that our kids will not be able to know their amazing grandfather; their mother's hero.


Truth was 15 months old when my father died, so the few photos of the two that we have will forever be cherished. Dad adored her, and got a sparkle in his eyes whenever she was around. A favorite memory of mine is about a week before Dad passed, he was so brittle, and wouldn't eat anything. In a desperate attempt, I brought him a milkshake, he had no problem saying no to me, but when Truth offered, Grandpa drank it.


My dad taught me many things in my life. He taught me to believe in myself, and never let anyone tell me that I can't. He taught me that even the strongest people have their moments of defeat. He taught me that a Sunday drive, with no known destination, can be the greatest of days. He wanted my siblings and I to experience life for ourselves, not to follow in other's footsteps, but to make own own. Most importantly, my dad taught me to be proud of who I am, and where I come from. This was best exampled as he prepared to give me away at our wedding in 2006. Dad was having a hard time, and I could tell that he was one hug away from losing it. He grabbed my hand, looked me in the eye, and told me to "be proud of who I am, and of the great guy that I was about to marry," as we walked down the isle, he squeezed that hand, ever so tightly, and repeated "be proud, just be proud," all the way to the alter.


My dad always supported me, always encouraged me, and never hesitated to tell me that I had made him proud. These words are missed more than any others. Thank you, Dad, for your whispers from heaven, and for continuing to be the inspiration behind much of what I do.

One week before Dad died, he had a stroke, which left his speech extremely limited. While visiting with him in the hospital, he told me four words, which will forever be engraved in my heart: Strong. Love. Proud. Truth. That was all that he had to say, I could finish each sentence for him. Be strong. I love you. I'm proud of you. Take care of Truth.

I will always strive to make you proud, and will pass on all of your lessons to my children. I promise you this. I miss you Dad, so very very much.



2 comments:

  1. Life is so unfair and cruel at sometimes especially when the one person that any young man needs in his life is taken from you in an instant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just cried from that amazing post Kari. It was so touching, and nice, to learn about your wonderful father--he sounds like the perfect father. I am sure the time was far too short, and it seems unfair that he was taken from this earth, but how wonderful that in your time together you learned so much...and knew how proud he was of you. That is beautiful. He is watching over you, rooting for you, and loving your babies. This I know. stay strong my friend, he is still SO PROUD.

    ReplyDelete